Sunday, October 19, 2008

An Interview with Colin Powell


Given all the attention Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack has gotten, I thought I'd sit down with him and talk it over a bit. Since this campaign has been going on for nearly four years now, I was curious as to why Colin chose this moment to endorse.

JMF: So it's official?
CP: Yes, I hereby endorse Barack Obama for President.
JMF: What a heroic showing of independence, breaking with your party when every pundit and poll in the country suggests your party is going to lose horrifically in three weeks.
CP: Well, Josh, as you know from your experiece playing paintball, in war, as in politics, timing is everything.
JMF: It's true. When George Bush was hugely popular, you served in his administration and even lent your credibility to starting his war in Iraq.
CP: Knowing how unpopular that turned out to be, I want to note I always opposed it.
JMF: As we all did. Now Obama looks set to sweep into Washington along with huge new Democratic majorities…
CP: …And I have never wanted to be a Republican less. Exactly.
JMF: But let's assume you really do want Obama to get elected.
CP: Yes. Let's make that assumption. Everyone, make that assumption.
JMF: Okay… Making that assumption, wouldn't your endorsement have helped Obama more, say, when he was tied with McCain?
CP: Of course.
JMF: And it's not like his candidacy was any less transformational three weeks ago.
CP: Nope. But three weeks ago, how could I know who would win the election? What am I supposed to do—break with my party and then see it rise to power!? Where would I be then?
JMF: Hated by Democrats for the war, hated by Republicans for stabbing McCain in the back.
CP: This way, if Barack wins, Democrats will love me again. And what Republicans think won't matter.
JMF: Here's hoping.
CP: I mean, maybe I get appointed to Secretary of State again! I get a whole do-over on the entire Bush presidency.
JMF: I guess someone should get a do-over on those years… But I guess I just can't get over how conformist this position is.
CP: Let me level with you. I didn't become a soldier because I wanted to do things my own way. This idea that career military men are going to be these groundbreaking leaders is, frankly, a little absurd. Soldiers follow orders. That's the job, right there. That's why McCain is maverick right up until Bush wanted something from him. Then, he literally fell in line.
JMF: But you know what the conservatives are going to say. Since you never spoke out against the war, didn't endorse Kerry, didn't do anything against the Republican establishment until now, they're going to say this is "about race."
CP: Anyone who would say that doesn't realize I care far more about my own political success than some abstract notion of racial solidarity.
JMF: So they're misunderestimating you?
CP: Exactly.

1 comment: