Friday, December 14, 2007

A Year of Cheers and Jeers

As a boy, I used to love grabbing TV Guide in line at the grocery store, and reading over the CHEERS AND JEERS section. Often, the Cheers and Jeers were about shows I didn't watch, but I didn't care. The thrill of life reduced to the laudable and the execrable was a welcome relief to the relativistic academic culture of Amherst, MA. So, I decided to employ the Cheers and Jeers format as I look back at the year that will long be known as… 2007.

CHEERS! Weed. Friend, brother, secret lover.

JEERS! The Odor of Hong Kong. I'd describe it as a plate of fresh sashimi sitting in a Soviet-era sauna.



CHEERS! The Presence of Circle K in Hong Kong. Strange things are afoot… at the many Circle Ks in Hong Kong!







JEERS! Pinkberry. Good work, Pinkberriers, removing every ounce of joy from your "ice cream." This is the perfect capper to sex with five condoms on.




CHEERS! A New Generation of Jewish Humor Dominance. Jonah Hill, Seth Rogan, Judd Apatow… Toda for the laughter.






JEERS! "Blood and Treasure." Specifically, the use of the phrase "blood and treasure" when media talking heads and/or politicians discuss the costs of Iraq. It's a good example of how intellectually bankrupt Washington is when every politician and every anchor parrots the same worn-out phrase again and again and again, to radically diminishing effect (unless the intended effect is making my skin crawl).

CHEERS! The Golden Age of Television. The writers strike may herald its end, but when you can name off the top of your head four shows you don't even have time to watch (The Wire, The Shield, Man Men, Weeds) that people you trust claim are the best on television—it's a high. Speaking of highs: the Lost season finale. Those who saw it… are forever changed.

R.I.P, Charlie, R.I.P. Spoiler Alert!

JEERS! Romney, Guiliani, McCain, Thompson, Huckabee. A Massachusetts governor posing as an anti-immigrant gun-nut… A power-hungry lunatic running against Islam… A victim of torture who supports toture… Stockman from Iron Eagle III…and Mike Huckabee. Vote Keyes!

CHEERS! President Obama. Just so I can trot the globe with a big, "I don't hear you talkin' now, motherfuckers" grin on my face.

Let it be, let it be...

JEERS! Lack of Minutiae on the Blog. Share the inanity of life with the rest of us, people!

CHEERS! Basel. You can swim in the river that provides 80% of the city's electricity via hydropower. Switzerland, nicely played.

QUICK HITS ENTERTAINMENT JEERS: World War Hulk, the retarded brother on 24,
Maureen Dowd, sports posts on the blog (I know, I did one too), Chuck on Gossip Girl, hash.

QUICK HITS ENTERTAINMENT CHEERS: The Hold Steady, Guitar Hero III, iTunes, Serena on Gossip Girl, David Brooks in the post-Republican apocalypse era, This American Life, Speidi, the Dave Sandler 70s look, the Dog Bowl video.

CHEERS! Mr. and Mrs. Ross. Congrats to the happy couple!

JEERS! Missing My Friends. No fun.

CHEERS! Seeing My Friends. Tons o' fun! And I'll be back in town for a couple days next week—so let's meet at some seasonally charged bar for a little mulled wine and lunacy!



14 comments:

  1. who is Raju licking (this time)? No cheers for Cairene cab drivers or jeers for Luxor touts. Monster cheers for Heba "the wolf."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of Raju et al is one of the greatest pictures I've ever seen! Raju licking, Matt the accomplice posing, Nad's tongue just sneaking in...Pure brilliance!

    p.s. How is it possible that Seth Rogen was born in 1982?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best guess is that Raju is licking Nika, but I have no recollection of that picture, so it's just a guess.

    Also, either it was snowing inside that bar or I had some pretty heinous sparkly dandruff problems. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think its possible that picture was taken at the blue&thegold five years ago - just prior to raju&myself playing a game of topless quarters, just after a snowball fight.

    good times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cheers to Josh being back on the blog. We missed you for our daily dose of insight/insult cheers and jeers! We want an Egypt post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that picture was indeed taken at the Blue & Gold. If I remember correctly, it was a Feldman Birthday celebration-2003 or 2004. And topless quarters did ensue.

    Speaking of which, Adz, I think we found an event for Roommate Olympics II...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers to the Greenport Family Reunion, and all debauchery therein.

    Jeers to the cramped ride to GP endured by Josh, Julie, Christy, and myself.

    Cheers to White Rabbits for blowing up ("like we thought they would") and for actually being pretty damned good (and not just something I have to pretend to enjoy to appease KTE and Schwizza)

    Jeers to GZA for cancelling his "Liquid Swords" show and then rescheduling for two nights I couldn't make it to.

    Cheers to the brothers Coen for unfucking themselves out of the Ladykillers slump.

    Jeers to the writers' strike for delaying my Tony Almeida fix indefinitely.

    Cheers to me for giving up smoking for a month.

    Jeers to me for taking up smoking again after a month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And of course, #1 cheers to the Bird for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, how could I not jeer that car ride to Greenport! I can't believe how full the trunk was! How did we ever survive that...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can we both cheer AND jeer the 80lbs of steak we ate at Greenport?

    ReplyDelete
  11. it was a stick-out-the-toungue moment. dang! you act like those don't exist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. btw...big ups for being able to identify that tongue as mine. I wasnt even able to do that on first glance. i spose thats why your the natural.

    ReplyDelete
  13. On another note... Does Nika read the blog? Does she know there are pictures of her being licked on the Internet?

    ReplyDelete