Saturday, July 14, 2007

Spain/Guatemala: Day 56

NERJA/BARCELONA/BASEL/SAN SEBASTIAN/ANGITGUA/OCOTAL



Today is the final day of my trip. In 5 hours I will be boarding a plane headed for New York City ending my 8 week jaunt through Spain and Guatemala, with side trips to Switzerland and Nicaragua. This is the longest trip I've ever been on, and I'm glad for the experience.



The principle objective of the trip, to improve my spanish, has been a modest success. My spanish is definitely better than it used to be, though still leaves a lot to be desired. Simple, relaxed conversations are no sweat, but most people still talk a bit too fast for me to catch everything, I have a lot of trouble with strong accents (like the Nicaraguans'), and my speaking ability is by far my weakest. But I actually know all the grammatical rules now, so with a little practice, I should be able to figure everything out.



Otherwise, the trip was a pretty full experience: beach fun, surfing frustration and fun, family, seeing friends in far off lands, new cities, new places, new friends, love-sickness, home-sickness, bowel adventures, wealth, poverity, beauty...the world is a fantastic place.







No comments:

Post a Comment