Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Spain/Guatemala: Day 39

SAN SEBASTIAN/ANTIGUA

Let me describe the greatness of San Sebastian...A perfectly sized city (not too big, not too small) with a perfect mix of beautiful old style buildings and gorgeous park space. It´s right on the beach, which is always fun and relaxing, and in turn produces a generally life-loving citizenry. The airport nearby is too small to accommodate much traffic, so the tourism is kept to a minimum, and thus the natives don´t really get annoyed by the tourists that are there. It also contains the greatest church I´ve ever seen. And it´s part of Spain, which means siestas, lots of bars, and merry-making until the wee hours of the morning.

Alas, I no longer habitate this paradise. On Sunday I flew to Guatemala, an epically long and frustrating trip. I woke up at 4am local time in Madrid, flew to London, to Miami, to Guatemala City, had a 2.5 hour delay in Miami, and, after waiting for an hour in Guatemala for my suitcase,
found out that it hadn´t made it out of London. I didn´t go to bed that night until 11:30pm local time in Antigua, which was the equivalent of 7:30am the next day in Spain...27.5 hours after I had woke up. On top of all that, I still won´t actually have my suitcase in hand until later this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment