Friday, June 1, 2007

Spain/Guatemala: Day 13

NERJA

Today is my last day in Nerja. Spending two weeks here has provided me with another data point on the down side of travelling to new places...the more places you go, especially if you´re going to spend any significant amount of time there, the more places that you´ll develop some sort of attachment to, and ultimately feel frustrated by not being able to constantly go back to. Such is the case for me with Nerja, and probably the rest of what I´m going to see of Spain. Nerja´s not even a particularly magnificent place, but the one thing it is, without a doubt, is comfortable. The longer I´ve been here, the more blah the food and the wine have become (I think I happened to get 2 particularly tasty glasses
of wine when I first got here, because what I´ve had since has not excited me nearly as much). The british tourists are omnipresent and consistently disgusting (the Brits must love pizza, because there are an incredible amount of restaurants here claiming to be pizzerias....all miserable to the last). But the beaches, the climiate, and the general lifestyle are pretty amazing (and the asthetic quality of the naked flesh on the beaches has improved considerably since last week).


Included here are some more pictures from around Nerja. The school had a class one day where we made paella. There was also another day where we played volleyball on the beach, and I would just like to point out that there are 8 people here this week from the U.S. Air Force Academy, and I kicked all their asses at volleyball. I think I inspired a certain degree of awe in one of the girl cadets, and I think one of the guy cadets wishes he could be my sidekick.

Anyway, tomorrow I´m taking a bus to Malaga, and then a train to Barcelona....always a little closer to home.

2 comments:

  1. Two comments: Yes, Brits seems to be the new Americans of tourism--spreading crappy pizza and drunken antagonism wherever they go.

    Also, I am worried about the U.S. Airforce. It's one thing that me, Ben, Fish, and Scott Thomas destroyed them in paintball once. But they lost at beach volleyball!?! Haven't they seen Top Gun???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope at the end of the game you turned to the female cadet and said "You can be my wingman anytime."

    And then serenaded her with some Righteous Brothers.

    Furthermore, I hope Tom Skerritt was there to witness all.

    ReplyDelete