Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Looking Back

Spending the last couple months coaching my old high school baseball team, it naturally got me thinking about my days back in high school, and of course it led me to pick up my high school yearbook and thumb through the pages.



When I think of myself in high school I tend to think of someone who was extremely naive and not totally locked in. I discovered something kind of surprising and awesome, though, when I looked at my yearbook page. In addition to the very tasteful appreciation I expressed for parents, teachers, and friends, here are the 3 quotes I included on my page:

"I'm always interested in a challenge ... It's hard work. You've got to have a plan and you've got to follow it. If [you] do that, nothing's impossible." - Bill Fitch

"Look back, and smile at the perils past." - Walter Scott

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Of course I picked those quotes out of some kind of quote book or something, and immediately forgot them as soon as I had chosen them. But honestly, I'm floored by how completely those three quotes reflect my current outlook on life. Clearly I knew what was up even back then.

The lesson here? I am and have always been the man. I'm The Natural!

4 comments:

  1. wise beyond your years, natural.

    why did they call the yearbook til morning?

    prom night reference? reflective of the just-wont-quit attitude of the class of 1997?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Please post your HS picture

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yearbook is actually called Blue Moon. According to some stuff written on page 3, Til Morning appears to be our personalized title and is a reference to Peter Pan, who tells us that the way to Never-Never-Land is to fly toward "the second star on the right and straight on til morning"...with Never-Never-Land representing the inner child that lives on in all of us. Deep stuff.

    I'll post my HS picture if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely 2nd the pic posting... for everyone!

    ReplyDelete