Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bill "I Love You" Buckner



The photo on the left represents the defining moment of Bill Buckner's life. That error resulted in 22 years of malicious persecution by a media and fan base with wide national exposure. The photo on the right is from yesterday when Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch as part of the opening day ceremonies celebrating last year's championship. Forgiveness all around. Sports can be cruel, and the masses are irrational. I'm not going to malign Boston sports fans for their treatment of Bill over these last 22 years, nor their change of heart. What is absurd are all those Boston fans calling up the talk shows to sermonize Red Sox Nation on how badly Bill was treated. Huh? And what's even more absurd is that it took, not one, but TWO World Series victories to get to this point.

The interesting thing was Bill's quote.

"I really had to forgive, not the fans of Boston, per se, but I would have to say in my heart I had to forgive the media."

Yeah. F-you media...Especially you Dan Shaughnessy!


The Devil

3 comments:

  1. You beat me to this posting. Sort of weirdly touching. I always wondered if he'd off'd himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's the two world series bit that really is shocking.

    also, i'd like to point out that there is a certain amount of distance in joe's voice about red sox nation. welcome into the mets' fold joe.

    ReplyDelete