Thursday, January 24, 2008

F the NYT

I'm at a breaking point. I can't take it anymore. The time has come. I'm done with the New York Times. However, as "the newspaper of record" this is sort of like quitting heroin. So, I'm hoping JJ8 can help me. I'm looking for a reputable, fairly large scale news source. I don't care about celebrities, I don't care about $1000-a-night "europe on a bargain" vacations, I don't care about un-ironic stories about millionaires who feel poor, and I certainly don't care about the grotesquely transparent lobbying of Bill Kristol (and for the record, I'm all for them staffing another conservative, but write op-eds, not candidate endorsements/assassinations. I mean at least Bill Safire did some research and though critically. In a side note, why do papers endorse candidate. That always felt wildly inappropriate to me. I digress).

I was moving toward Slate.com but it's trend toward intellectual shock & awe (watch me contradict conventional wisdom. I'm so independent!!!) and recent foray into IQ hereditarianism and race-based eugenics has, shall we say, led us to see other people. Salon has been interesting lately, and the BBC is ok, if classically dry.

JJ8-ers I need your help. The floor is yours.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, my computer freaked out and posted my comment 4 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Furthermore, Salon's weekly recaps of The Wire suck compared to AV Club's.

    Also furthermore, I fucking love The Wire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how about the NY observer? they mix it up pretty good.

    the truth is the times has been pandering to the filthy rich for quite some time now. it's a fucked up trade-off to have to skim headlines about ferraris in order to get an in-depth and mostly sane analysis of the nation and the world. the problem in looking for something reputable and large scale is that, in our hyper-capitalist society where wealth and education are not well distributed, thorough news coverage is mostly aimed at folks with lots of money or hipsters.

    also, if you're mad at the times for endorsing hillary, well, one day it will all be water under the bridge.

    p.s. the observer went with obama

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out The Morning News, http://www.themorningnews.org

    ReplyDelete