Sunday, October 14, 2007

This one's for Tough Love

Tough Love,
Please one-up The Ethicist and put the bama-sauce "Mike" in his place.

Yours desperately,
Miss Tuffet Owt

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/magazine/14wwln-ethicist-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin

I recently discovered that my ex-roommate had been working as a prostitute and sometimes paid me the rent with money earned that way. I want to return her money because I don’t think anyone should have to do such work. She refuses to take it, saying her work is none of my business. Must I accept (and keep) rent money regardless of its source? — Mike, New York

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mike,

    You lived with a pro, and you're concerned that she DID pay the rent? Sensible.

    You're clearly too pretentious to understand this, but not everyone gets to tend to the elderly or clean up at the soup kitchen for a living--which I'm sure is what you do. Most of us have to earn money fucking or getting fucked--it just depends where we fall in the corporate structure. So quit your holier-than-thou attitude toward your hooker ex-roomie. Your "I don't want your DIRTY MONEY!!" routine is prissy, puritanical bullshit, and it smacks of a barely sublimated desire to get in on the sex-for-hire action yourself.

    Don't end up like Jason Alexander's character in Pretty Woman, Mike.

    Tough Love

    ReplyDelete