Friday, May 25, 2007

Spain/Guatemala: Day 6

NERJA

Pictured to the right is the town of Nerja on Spain´s Costa del Sol, my home for the past six days and until next Saturday. In all honesty, I wasn´t too impressed when I first got here. The buildings are not particularly beautiful, the streets are narrow and kind of claustrophobic, and it´s teeming with old, lumpy, leathery skinned, disgusting British tourists. I also fell into my typical pattern of not talking to anyone when I´m in a place where I don´t know anyone. It´s amazing to me that I still do that. It was like being at EXPLO camp back when I was 15. It all led to some lonely days and to wishing I were still back in New York.

However, things have gotten much better since. The town has grown on me quite a bit. Despite being as touristy as it is, there are still a lot of really excellent and fun places to eat. Any house red wine that you order is great..at least to my unsophisticated pallate. There´s just tons of flavor that I´m not used to when drinking wine. I love it! The beer is crappy, but at least it´s cheap. And the beaches are great (though, so far the only topless women to be seen are ones that make you want to look away).

And, of course, I started talking to people...or maybe they started talking to me. Either way, I now have plenty of people to hang out with, so everything´s cool. Most of the other people at the language school I´m in are German or Swiss, with a couple people from Holland, a couple from Japan, a couple Americans, and one from Iceland.
There are also some really intense caves nearby. Inside is the world´s largest naturally formed column (stalagtites and stalagmites eventually coming together and growing wider and wider).
Very impressive stuff.
Stay tuned for more updates from abroad. I´ll be going to Cordoba tomorrow on a day trip, and maybe I´ll try to get some pictures up that have some actual people in them...maaaaybe even one with me in it.
Hasta Luego!















9 comments:

  1. Why does this show up much differently on the blog than it did in the little window that I created in? I have no idea how to format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, start talking to the topless women. It will turn your whole trip around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cordoba is pretty awesome. Take the train if you can. It's super fast. Make sure to visit the Mezquita (obvious) and the catholic kings' old court where the inquisition was based part-time.

    I recommend a guided tour if only because a lot of the coolest stuff is in the stories about a place as much as the visuals.

    it sounds cheezy, but the horse drawn carriages are a great way to get the lay of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah well, i just went to lunch in chinatown. where i ate lots of dumplings and had some tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah well, i just went to lunch in chinatown. where i ate lots of dumplings and had some tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awesome--keep the updates coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe,

    We miss you. Your trip sounds amazing so far. Keep us up-to-date.

    -Sol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe- you talk your little heart out with those Spanish-learning friends. And as long as you keep a drinkin heavily, we will be right with you in your heart. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY!! So good to hear from you . Keep us posted. Get in touch with the dutch they are good people. you can do it darling!!! keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete