Thursday, May 10, 2007

CANDY: KITKAT! [Part I in a series]

Hello, friends! I have been very disappointed in the lack of trivial blather on our blog. Do we really want to use this blog to post pictures of each other and plan Meet-Ups!? That kind of practical application of digital media is, frankly, not what the Internet is all about.

Starting now, I'm going to use this space for the purpose blogs were intended for: posting a detailed discussion of a topic mainly of interest to me. Without further ado... CANDY!

Today's subject: The KitKat Wafer Bar!!





First created in 1931 and certified kosher (OUD), KitKat remains a staple of any bodega candy bar display. KitKat has perhaps the best crunch of any major candy bar on the market. It achieves this crunch, though, without sacrificing the taste of chocolate--I believe it accomplishes this by dividing the layers of wafer with thinner layers of chocolate. Other wafer-coated chocolate bars simply dip wafer in chocolate and call it a day--the result is a candy that tastes far too wafery, and hence, too bland. The KitKat avoids this, to its credit. It employs the texture of wafer without letting it overwhelm the taste.

Another positive of the KitKat is its structure--the bar is pre-divided into four parts, making it easy to share and allowing you to eat it in innumerable ways. This shouldn't be overlooked. The conventional "meat-loaf" structure of a candy bar (think Snickers or Milky Way) pretty much demands a front to back eating experience. With a KitKat, you can eat one bar at a time, nibble the chocolate that breaks off when you separate one bar from another, etc.



Still, I would argue KitKat is the Karl Malone of candy bars: it undeniably belongs in the Hall of Fame, but its greatness remains debatable. The taste of a KitKat is easily replicated and often duplicated. There are many, many chocolate-coated wafer bars. The KitKat is just the one that crossed over into the popular candy market (though again, its balancing of flavor and texture is admirable). I like its simplicity, but that is also its downfall--with a KitKat, there just isn't enough going on for a truly first-rate candy experience. Granted, I'm never disappointed with a KitKat, but again, I'm never really fired up. To use a non-basketball analogy (for the ladies!!!), KitKat is like Reese Witherspoon--attractive, talented, but are you ever really, really excited to see a Reese Witherspoon movie? Of course not.




[Reese and a KitKat: A woman and a candy you can bring home to Mom...]





All-in-all, KitKat continues to delight and is a never-fail safe choice. But I prefer other bars when I really want to get my candy on.

Which bars!?!? Tune in next time!!

10 comments:

  1. Insightful, riveting stuff - as always!

    Regarding crunch: why is it that the solid but unspectacular Crunch bar dominates the market, while it's superior cousin the Krackle is banished to Halloween minis?

    Further: who in their right mind would eat a Payday or a Charleston Chew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it's the specific make-up of the Kit-Kat, or the wrapper, or the way it's sectioned off (maybe it's a combination), but I've always avoided the Kit-Kat with extreme prejudice. I don't think I've ever eaten an entire one in my life. I'm not arguing with your assessment, Josh. I think you fairly well captured Kit-Kat's significance in the greater candy eating world. For me specififcally, I would liken it more to Kirsten Dunst (at least Kirsten Dunst of about 5 years ago): everyone else seems to think she's smoking hot, and people are flocking to her movies...not only do I not understand the fascination, but seeing Kirsten Dunst on screen actually makes my stomach turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, Paydays are actually delicious. I went through a Payday phase not more than two years ago. and as for Charleston Chews, freeze them. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a chocolate person, but I'm pretty sure that the single greatest bar out there is a Twix.

    Say what you will about wafers and whatnot--my money is with caramel.

    (Although, I'll take an Apollo bar any day too).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would add 2 additional and relatively under-represented bars to the discussion. Whachamacalit and 100 Grand. I would also add Skor bars. But, realistically I think that we're talking apples and oranges. Kit Kat, Skor, Krackel, etc. all belong to what i would call "primary" or "core" bars. These are bars whose ingredients are limited to 2 or fewer simple, basic confectionary flavors (chocolate, caramel, wafer, etc). In a second category are what I call "secondary" or "complex" bars. These are the bars that introduce a variety of flavors and textures to achieve new ground but generally lean on the architecture of primary bars. For example, a hershey bar with nuts and a Skor bar would be primary bars while Snickers and 100 Grand would be a complex bars. And if you are familiar with these bars, it's also clear that they are almost like an amalgam of the 2 primary bars. The one caveat I'd add is my general feeling is that anything with Nougat is a complex bar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say that this is a particularly impressive posting. You all have made very solid and well crafted remarks on the state of the candy world as we know it today. However, I feel that the dark horse of the KitKat stable has been overlooked: the Dark Chocolate KitKat Bar, a truly enlightening candy experience. Also, the PayDay bar is delicious in a disgusting way, good for days when you are waiting in the office of a government agency (DMV, Passport Agency, Post Office). Also, I applaud PandaBear’s illuminating categorization of candy bars and thoroughly agree thus far. I’m also thrilled that you brought up the esteemed Skor bar with its high quality thin but not-too brittle toffee. Like the KitKat, it can be consumed in a variety of ways. My favorite is to insert my top right incisor between the chocolate and the toffee to crack the chocolate off in chards, then sucking the toffee until it melts back to the next frontier of chocolate. I greatly look forward to the next installation of this series. I can only hope that a discussion of candy bars from other countries will ensue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really pleased to see mention of the Skor Toffee Bar and 100 Grand, two of my favorite bars that no one ever talks about. Does anyone else remember the 100 Grand commercial, with a bunch of old men sitting around a table, talking about how they are going to all get "100 Grand," and then a little girl (Sal) walks in, and gives them all a 100 Grand bar? Classic stuff.

    Matt, Ben, as I recall you guys were big Whachamacalit fans back in the day--when they could be purchased from the EC vending machine.

    And the underappreciation of the Krackle is truly absurd. One of the great candy anomalies of our time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your candy discussion has inspired to go downstairs to the small newsstand on West 116th Street and Bway. I asked Rose (the nice indian lady behind the stand) what she thought was the best candy bar. She emphatically says, "TAKE 5."

    So I buy one...for 75 cents...I am willing to try anything food related.

    I quickly open the wrapper and take a bite of the TAKE 5. Pure deliciousness!

    Take 5 is separated into two clusters of heaven. Inside of each cluster is a mix of caramel, peanuts, peanut butter, milk chocolate, and pretzel.

    It tasted like a chocolate covered pretzel times 10. I definitely recommend it to all.

    mmmmmmmmmmmm, Sol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I propose we add a candy bar deathmatch round to the Chili Con Carne(vale). Bring your competitors and we'll test and taste until we're sicker than a seven year old the day after Halloween.

    ReplyDelete